Hi! A little bit about myself - I am a 23yo with a BS degree. Some of the biggest things I've done in my undergrad in a cognitive science lab (3 years), manager at a local food business (3 years), shadowed various doctors, and volunteer as floor manager at a clinic (5 years). And I know this isn't much compared to stats of a lot of other premeds. I also really like to be in role where I have control over the situation - even if the situation is chaotic.
I have always wanted to go into medicine because I have felt like that's where I can make the biggest impact and I truly enjoy being able to be able to physically and mentally change how patients treat their health. However, recently, I've been suffering from severe burnout and question if I have the mental capacity to go to med school and if I can handle the hours of residency + I'm honestly not the best test taker LOL.
I've recently started looking into other paths that I could possibly take that I would enjoy - money is not as much my priority as is finding something that I can be happy doing and has a good work/life balance. I definitely know I want to stay somewhere into the healthcare system.
I have also been looking into healthcare administration which I actually find myself super interested in! (I just started looking into it a lot today so please correct me if anything I say is wrong.) After working at the free clinic as floor manager - I enjoy coordinating between our medical students, doctors, volunteers, and the churches that we use for our site. I also love the chaotic environment that I can constantly change and make more efficient. I love being able to oversee everything and to have a say as to what can be changed to make things better for our staff and patients.
I've been combing reddit and seeing a lot of hate posts against hospital administrators and in short, if I don't have a clinical degree then nobody will take me seriously and that I would just be pulling my hair out - which is definitely not something I want.
Question: Can any healthcare administrators shed light on what they really do, the impact they have, do they like their job? Did anyone else suffer burnout but still went to medical school anyways - how was it?
I'm honestly open to other career options as well - I would just love to stay in the healthcare system and make an impact but would not like to sit behind a desk all day or in meetings where nothing gets done.
Thank you everyone for your inputs and for reading this post! I appreciate it :)
0 nhận xét:
Đăng nhận xét