Thứ Hai, 15 tháng 8, 2022

Great country, awful system

Hi yall! I just want to vent here and share my short experience with the US healthcare system.

I am a tourist in the US and I lost my rescue inhaler, basically fell off my bag. I have asthma since I can remember and I thought, no big deal, I’ll buy a new one even if it’s more expensive. Salbutamol/Ventolin in Colombia goes for around 5 USD, how bad can it be here? Oh boy was I wrong even if I could afford the whole 25 bucks I need a prescription! No one would sell it to me, and I needed it asap.

My only option was going to the ER.

Ok, no problem, I head to the ER, and explain my situation at triage. The nurse right away advised me to GET TF OUTTA THERE! To get a prescription I would need a checkup at the ER that might cost about 2000 UDS. Just to have a talk with a doctor, have a general check up, and write a prescription.

I was shocked.

Something so simple and cheap can turn out so complicated and expensive here. I felt like crying, the anxiety of not being certain if an attack would come and I wouldn’t have a 5 usd solution could get me into debt.

I am still trying to find a solution and thankfully my travel insurance MIGHT be able to help, but still, I feel sad. This healthcare system is seriously wrong.



https://ift.tt/u7n4qRB Submitted August 15, 2022 at 10:50AM by Maracuyeah https://ift.tt/mRnhuZg

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét