Thứ Ba, 19 tháng 11, 2019

[Question - Insurance]

I am 27. My parents have been uninsured for as long as I can remember and I was on Medicaid as a minor (I feel like I remember a time when I was a minor and I was uninsured too because I don’t think all children used even to qualify for Medicaid but it’s honestly fuzzy.) and into my early 20s. After college my income was only a couple grand over the poverty line as a single person and I stopped qualifying for a subsidized plan. I was on a catastrophic plan last year when it was illegal to be uninsured. Now that there are no penalties I decided to go back to uninsured because with that high of a deductible an emergency would have bankrupted me anyway.

I haven’t been to the doctor for a regular visit in years. When I got strep throat a few times I used to go to an urgent care clinic that was pretty low cost but they have closed down. I have severe anxiety about navigating the healthcare system (Probably because it has been a source of stress in my life since I was a minor.) I am terrified of getting sick or injured and I try to avoid thinking about it. It’s not rational but in my mind I am always on the “don’t get sick” plan so going to the doctor didn’t even feel like a real option when I did have coverage.

I am going to get married in 2020 and then I will be able to be on my fiancées insurance she gets as a teacher (hell yea, it will be so nice to finally be insured) with a premium that I can afford and a reasonable deductible. And dental and vision!!!

I’m just not sure what to do now and what I will have to do after I get married.

Do I have to apply through the marketplace by the deadline in order to qualify for her insurance?

If I start going to the doctor and find out that I have some kind of disease could they disqualify me from her plan or raise the premium since it would have been like a pre existing condition?

Will me not having been to the doctor in so long impact my coverage or make me seem like I’m more of a risk to insure?

On one hand I know that it is such a blessing and I am so lucky to be insured and it will be such an enormous relief to not have to worry about that anymore but on the other I am so scared that it could be taken away from me somehow if I make a misstep or don’t have my ducks in a row.

I know that these are kind of silly questions and I know I should be able to figure it out for myself but I just can’t stomach it right now. It has been a struggle to type this out I am alternating between using voice to text and it’s typing because I keep tearing up and pretty much panicking. So I am basically asking you to explain it to me like I’m 5. I would appreciate if anybody could point me to some kind of “insurance for dummies” resource or even share their experiences if they have insurance as a teacher too, or tell me what to watch out for so I can avoid making a mistake that could impact my coverage. Thank you.



https://ift.tt/eA8V8J Submitted November 19, 2019 at 03:50AM by soandsuch https://ift.tt/2NY0UgD

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét