Thứ Tư, 13 tháng 1, 2021

[Question - Insurance] Can I appeal being charged retroactively for several months when I didn't have coverage yet, or can healthcare providers kind of do whatever they want?

I posted a question about this yesterday but the situation has changed and I need some more advice.

In short, here's my situation:

I started a job at a state government agency back on 10/28. I enrolled in a healthcare plan a couple of weeks later, but the state does this weird thing that I've never seen before where they cut out different aspects of coverage and make you choose what to opt in to. For example, I chose what I thought was a normal, big, Blue Cross Healthcare plan, it would have cost about $500 a month but the state is subsidizing it so I pay $150 instead. I skimmed the 200 page document that came with the plan and it seemed to cover a variety of things, including, I'm almost certain, prescription drugs.

Then there were separate places on the government benefits website where I could click to opt into a variety of other things that would increase my monthly premium, like dental, life insurance, drug card, and more. I added dental coverage and left it at that, assuming that the drug card was an option for people who only wanted prescription drug coverage and nothing else, for whatever reason.

Fast forward a month and a half and I go to pick up prescriptions only to be told that I don't have prescription drug coverage and that I need a drug card. I spoke with my HR rep the next day and she told me that I was one day past the 60 day enrollment window, but that if I gave her the paperwork to opt into drug coverage immediately, she'd send it over to our Employee Benefits Division and say that she was a day late submitting it because she'd been out of the office.

Now, that was on December 18. It's been 26 days since that happened, and I have received zero updates or notifications as to whether they accepted my paperwork or not. I called Employee Benefits 3 days ago and they said that the paperwork was still being processed and that I just had to keep waiting to find out if it'd been accepted or not.

Then, today, I log into my work account and see that I have been enrolled in drug coverage. Great! Here's the only problem. I've just been told that I won't receive my drug prescription card for another 7-10 days, i.e. a little over a month from when I actually submitted paperwork asking them to enroll me. On top of that, they're going to charge me for having the drug card for the months of November, December, and January, even though I'm not receiving the drug card until the end of January and haven't been enrolled until now.

My question is: Do I have any rights here to appeal being retroactively charged for 3 months when I didn't have drug coverage? The employee benefits staff member I spoke with told me that I can't appeal, but when I asked who decides that I'm going to get charged for several months when I didn't even have coverage, he said it was the healthcare provider itself, so if I were going to call and complain and try to get that decision reversed, I guess I'd have to call the provider directly. Any have thoughts? Thanks.



https://ift.tt/eA8V8J Submitted January 13, 2021 at 10:30PM by IAmTheJudasTree https://ift.tt/2Ka0mVS

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét